Memorial Day Memories: Uncle Wendell Laverne Larson KIA, Korean War

My Uncle Wendell Laverne Larson at age 23 died serving his country during the Korean War.  Wendell’s toe tag

His military records state that,

“Cpl. Larson was KIA at approx 1900 hours, on 22 October 1951, near Nodong-Ni, North Korea.  Type and Location of wounds are unknown.  His body was recovered and positively identified by SFC Norlan W. Schultz, Company “I”, 19th Infantry Regiment.”

Aviary Photo_130940619951454515
Cpl. Wendell Laverne Larson

His parent’s, George and Esther Larson, were notified of his death by telegram on a Sunday as they arrived home from visting relatives.  Grandmother Esther’s letter to her sister

The official government notification came later. Letter of death notification to family.

The family receives a letter from a witness to his death. How your son died. The family received their son’s purple heart, but the silver star medal never arrived.

His parents had to fill out an application to receive his personal  effects.
Application to receive their son’s personal effects approved.

It took many weeks for Wendell’s body to come home. He returned to Minnesota in a casket, covered by our national flag and with a single soldier as a military escort. It was raining the day that his siblings picked up his casket at the railroad station to deliver him to the local mortuary. His youngest brother still recalls how light the casket was and laments that Wendell must have lost a lot of weight before he was killed.

The family held a memorial service for him early in December–on his birthday-in the same church where he was baptized and confirmed– First Lutheran Church, Grove City, MN. Memorial on Wendell’s Birthday Letter

Aviary Photo_130940612516847820

Wendell is buried in the church’s cemetery in our family plot and lies right next to his first cousin Eugene Kronbeck who was also killed in Korea.  Eugene was killed only a month after Wendell when a mortar shell landed on him. So much sorrow at once for the family.  Both young and old mourned.

Eugene Kronbeck.jpg

“My cousin, Eugene Kronbeck photo taken the morning he left for Korea Sept 20, 1951. He was killed in action Nov 25, 1951. I’ll never for get his funeral in Grove City, MN. The rifle salute and taps played. I was 7 years old.,” Cousin Grace Gauer.

After Wendell’s death life went on, on the family farm without him. There were keepsakes of the lost son forever present: a satin pillow with silk fringe he sent home from Japan to his mother, the triangular shaped flag, his favorite hunting shot gun still hung on the kitchen gun rack and his letters from Korea.

Some of Wendell’s letters dream about home and a future.

September 22, 1951
“So John B. rented his farm to Gaude.  I would have liked to have rented it.  I wonder if Gaude is still going to farm that land over by Ottos.”

September 27, 1951
“Too bad you didn’t get a chance at Ed’s decoys for $5.00.  With all the water in Mud Lake they probably would help a lot.  I don’t remember if I told you that we had eggs from Litchfield Prod. Co. for breakfast the other morning.  I got those pictures.  They sure are good.  I see I have a very cute niece as everybody has been writing and telling me. ”

Other letters were filled with his reality in Korea.

July 8, 1951
“Two weeks ago tomorrow we went back on the line or I should say in front of the line. We were out past the line of resistance.  Tuesday we got into a big fight and just 2 of us who didn’t get hit.  Keith Lindahl, my pal from Mpls. got hit in the shoulder.  He got sent to the hospital.  The rest of the 2 weeks we destroyed enemy ammo and bunkers.  I was with 5 others looking through bunkers and we caught 10 Chinese.  One had been wounded in the leg so had to be carried out.  I am a BAR man so have Browning auto rifle which weighs 15-19 pounds.  I also carry 13 mags with 20 rounds in each and my assistant carries 8 mag.  Go Margaret’s picture and is real cute ‘everyone thinks so’. ”

July 9, 1951
“Vince, who was my best buddy in the squad, got wounded by a gook grenade.  Not too bad I guess.  Wagner and Moore also got wounded and Urqhart was killed.”

The average life span for a “BAR man” during combat is 30 minutes.

Stories of his short life were told and retold.  I know that my Uncle was a devout Christian, he was the best shot in the family, he was tall, good looking, kind with a great sense of humor.  He was greatly loved by his family and friends.

Below is a  letter from Wendall’s sister to the nephews and nieces who never knew him.

A Brother Makes the Supreme Sacrifice

“I have chosen portions of Wendell’s letters written from December 1950 to October 1951 to share with you his nephews and nieces.  I want you to know about him–to know how he lived, how he served and how he died.  He was very intelligent.  He was very committed to country and to family.  He was loved by aunts and uncles, cousins and friends.  Many of them wrote to him often and sent packages of food like banana bread, fruitcake, cookies and donuts.  His letters were long with descriptions of their meals and countryside.  He asked many questions regarding our welfare and activities. 

To Debbie, Laurie, Steven, Patrica, Douglas, Barbara, Diane, Bryan, Galen and Christine, May you remember with pride your Uncle Wendell Larson.  He would have been very proud of each one for you.

Aunt Margaret

I have never heard anyone have a bad thing to say about Wendell.  My great-aunt Ida once said, “He was the best. I cried so hard when I heard he was gone.”  Her sorrow never faded for when she was well into her nineties Aunt Ida would still tear up when she spoke of him or saw his picture.

Nor did the the love of his mother and father ever fade. As a child I spent many hours with my Grandmother Esther. As a teenager I used to go over to help clean her house, usually about once a month or so.  I would wash floors and do the tasks that she could no longer physically manage. There was one task that she always did herself.  When we were dusting, it was grandmother that dusted Wendell’s picture. After her dust cloth gently wiped any dust from her son’s face she would tap the glass three times.  I Love You.

Memorial Day was designated as a day to honor our nation’s war dead. It is so much more just another day off from work for picnics and fun. Remembrance and gratitude is what Memorial Day is all about. It is a day to solemnly remember the men and women in military uniform who sacrificed their lives defending freedom.  It is also a day to acknowledge their families.  For families of the fallen in battle, Memorial Day is a time for their community to remember their beloved, acknowledge that loss and to express gratitude for their sacrifice.

This Memorial Day, like many past Memorial Days,  I will spend time thinking about my family, their loss and wondering what life would have been like growing up on the farm with an Uncle Wendell.


Information about military personnel records for a deceased loved can be found on the National Personnel Records Center website at:

The National Personnel Records Center
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, MO 63138-1002







One thought on “Memorial Day Memories: Uncle Wendell Laverne Larson KIA, Korean War

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s